Energy Technology Development and Demonstration
The purpose of the Danish EUDP programme is to strengthen R&D and Demonstration efforts in energy technologies, and to develop Danish business potential in this area.
EUDP emphasises the inclusion of private companies in project consortia with a view to commercialisation of project results. Moreover, EUDP gives priority to technologies relevant for the Danish Energy Policy objectives, focusing on making Denmark independent of fossil fuels by 2050. By tradition, many funded EUDP projects include a knowledge-generating element, and most applying consortia involve private and public partners.
Funding applications can be targeted as either:
- Development – project where demonstration leads to additional development before market introduction
- Demonstration – projects involving experimental testing of a technology, a system or method in a reality-like setup, with a clear view to subsequent market introduction.
Commercial opportunities: EUDP, through grants to Danish companies, offers the opportunity for improved competitiveness and market positions.
Funding available: EUDP funding is given according to EU State Aid rules. The subsidy rate for companies is maximum 60 percent for SMEs. Overall, EUDP asks for 50 percent own-financing from applying consortia.
Type of activities: R&D, Demonstration.
Requirements: EUDP evaluation criteria, inter alia, emphasise the following elements:
- Energy and technology: projects should hold relevance according to overall EUDP priorities, including Danish energy policies and strategies and commercial ambitions of EUDP; projects should be innovative, and objectives should be realistic
- Commercial elements: projects should target well-defined market needs and clients; should display potential economic growth, and include private companies with a view to commercialisation.
- Organisation and knowledge dissemination: projects should involve all required competences; should include partners from relevant parts of the value chain; and contribute to knowledge dissemination.