1. Before application
Prior to application writing, the client’s innovation project idea needs to be validated against the selected funding programme. The validation process ensures that the project idea holds sufficient novelty and conforms to the programme requirements.
In this phase, Innovayt typically supports the client with one or more of the following:
- Contacting programme owners to discuss project idea.
- Analysing the fit between project idea and selected funding programme, as well as the compliance with formal requirements, e.g., status/size of main applicant, additional partners, etc.
- Examining the novelty level of the project and validating the technology.
The validation phase results in a comprehensive analysis of the match between the project idea and the selected funding programme. In the case of mismatch, the validation process can serve as a basis for selecting an alternative programme or adapting the project idea. In some cases, the validation phase may lead to dismissing or postponing the project idea for programme funding.
2. During application
In the second phase, Innovayt focuses on preparing a high-quality written application on behalf of the client. In addition, emphasis may be put on recruiting necessary partners for the client, as some funding programmes require collaboration with partners when implementing funded projects.
Typically, an application includes:
- The concept of the problem that is trying to be solved and a description of the idea or solution from a technological point of view.
- Detailed work plan with activities to be funded.
- Description of participants and their role in the project.
- Market analysis.
- Budget of the activities to be funded.
- Section picturing the impact the innovation and/or knowledge will bring (e.g., value creation and benefits to society).
During application, Innovayt most often supports the client with:
- Developing the concept, which means analysing the project idea and concepts for written presentation.
- Producing written presentation of the project idea in compliance with templates and requirements.
- Conducting detailed proposal of the work plan or programme with activities to be funded.
- Preparing an associated budget.
- Assuring quality, including internal reviews during the writing process.
- Submitting the application to the grant authority on behalf of client.
The client’s involvement in this phase depends on the selected consultancy model. Typically, all or most activities are implemented by Innovayt consultants, but we frequently assist clients in selected areas of application writing.
3. After application
Once the application has been submitted and upon receiving a positive funding decision, the client might need further support. Even though Innovayt often performs most services in the validation and application phases, we can also support the client with:
- Negotiating contracts and discussing project implementation with both funding authorities and project partners. Common discussion topics involve intellectual property rights (IPR), finance coordination, and cash flows.
- Formulating contracts, which means preparing written contracts with funding authorities and between project partners.
- If necessary, customising and adapting the project description based on the evaluation of the submitted application.
- Implementing and managing the funded project, including financial reporting.